- Press Release 21.02.2017
Press Release 21.02.2017
February 22nd, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DEPAUL URGES RENEWED ACTION TO END HOMLESSNESS AS FIGURES RISE AGAIN IN JANUARY
Homeless charity Depaul urges urgent policy solutions to tackle homeless crisis
As latest government figures show that the number of people who are homeless has again risen to reach 7,167, homeless charity Depaul is urging the government to take action to prevent any further increases in homelessness, arguing that safety nets for vulnerable individuals, including young people, are insufficient.
The charity says that the rise in the number of young people becoming homeless is particularly worrying. Depaul works with young people experiencing homelessness through its Peter’s Place service in Dublin city centre, providing secure accommodation and complex needs support, and also works with young people through its community outreach programmes. It says the rise in figures for young people highlights the effect increasing rents and lack of economic and social supports is having on the 18-30 age group in Ireland.
Ms. Kerry Anthony, CEO of Depaul, comments: “These month-on-month increases in the number of people, in particular young people, becoming homeless are alarming. Depaul’s work is focused strongly in the area of homeless prevention and in working with people with complex needs who become homeless. We see an increasing number of vulnerable single individuals, including young people with no supports, coming to our services. We would urge the government to take immediate steps to put into place the safety nets and inter-agency supports it has committed to in its Rebuilding Ireland Action Plan, to prevent any further escalation of this crisis.”
Ms Kerry Anthony, CEO of Depaul, is available for interviews on request.
Media and Communications Officer
T: 00 353 1 453 7111
M: 00 353 86 383 2198
Notes to Editor:
- Depaul is a leading provider of services to people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland
- Depaul has been in operation for over 12 years; founded in Dublin in 2002 and Belfast in 2005. We now manage over 23 specialised accommodation and community outreach services across Dublin, Belfast, Dungannon, L/Derry, Armagh, Newry and Mourne. For more information please visit: https://ie.depaulcharity.org/
- Although Society of St. Vincent de Paul was one of Depaul’s founding partners, Depaul is a separate charity in its own right specifically addressing homelessness
- The latest figures from the Department of Housing, Planning, Community & Local Government can be found at: http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_january_2017.pdf
- Information on Peter’s Place can be found at: https://ie.depaulcharity.org/our-work/our-services/peters-place